Telemarketing is a phone sales strategy that is used to make people aware of a company. It can be a very effective tool to help improve sales if it is used correctly. Today at IBMH, we’re going to talk about telemarketing and when, how, and why it can be an extremely useful technique for your hardware company.
What is telemarketing and how can it help your hardware company?
As we said before, telemarketing (i.e. telephone marketing) is a phone sales technique that is commonly used by businesses. Its main function is to let customers know about products and services, answer their questions and determine their level of satisfaction with or awareness of the brand. It is a very valuable tool that, when managed well, can provide excellent results.
It might seem like a relatively obsolete approach compared with digital marketing, for example. But the truth is, the two are not at odds with each other. In fact, both should form part of the company’s overall strategy.
Drawbacks of telemarketing: What you need to consider
Let’s take a look at what you need to keep in mind in order to avoid the potential disadvantages:
- The biggest downside of telemarketing is that you are invading the customers’ space. Some people might see these calls as a nuisance.
- It can be difficult to set up a schedule for when you will make the phone calls. It needs to be during office hours, and they need to be made at a time when they won’t interfere with the customers’ work or rest time.
- Also, at first, cold calls can cause some degree of mistrust if they don’t come from a recognized company, especially if it is a new business.
The benefits of telemarketing for a hardware company (or in any other industry)
As for the main advantages of telemarketing, we can highlight that…
- The communication is very effective because you can speak with the customer without them having to come into your shop or a physical office.
- Instantaneous communication. The first contact made by phone allows you to get to know the customer and them to get to know you.
- Thanks to telemarketing, you can give excellent customer service, whether to offer a new product or to respond to their feedback.
- On the other hand, you can collect information during these calls. Ask what you can work on to improve their purchase experience.
- Telemarketing campaigns have a very low cost and a very high efficacy that is both proven and measurable.
So, what’s the right way to use telemarketing?
Telemarketing can be a highly effective tool if you follow these guidelines:
- Carefully select the potential customers whom you are going to call.
- Whenever possible, you should first send information about the company via email. Let them know that you will be contacting them soon in order to expand upon all the information that you have attached for them.
- On the first call, tell them who you are and what the purpose of your call is as briefly as possible. You should also be prepared for any questions or suggestions they might have for you.
- Establish a schedule when you can call without disturbing the customer.
- Keep a meticulously detailed call log with the effectiveness of each call so that you can keep improving.
- Use language that is clear, concise, and friendly.
- Leave a line open so that the customer can contact you whenever they like.
If you follow these guidelines, you’ll ensure that telemarketing becomes an ideal tool to boost sales in your business. And with the collaboration of IBMH—your ideal partner for furniture and construction hardware imports from China—and our Strategic Purchase Management service, you’ll increase the profitability of your business. If you want to learn more about how we can help you, please don’t hesitate to contact us today!